Independence is something that is highly valued in the Montessori world. The following is to help children independently put on their own coat / jacket. Please demonstrate the following steps to your child and then let them repeat it after you:
- Lay the jacket on the floor with the collar or hood facing up (inverted) and nearest the feet.
- Stand behind the collar and bend down.
- Push one arm into the corresponding sleeve of the coat. Push all the way until the hand has come out of the armhole.
- Repeat with the other arm.
- Stand up half way bringing the coat with up with the arms.
- Stand up fully as you do this and lift both arms simultaneously up. Use momentum to lift and flip the coat over your head.
- As the coat goes over your head use your hands to guide coat towards body as it comes down your back. The back may need to be pulled down for ease.
- Adjust the coat if necessary.
- Zip up.
The jacket can also be laid on a child sized table instead of the floor which may be easier as balance is already established from the beginning.
18 Month Old Putting On Jacket By Herself